Sunday, July 3, 2011

Crazy Smart

“The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.”
~Bruce Feirstein


I have had a theory for a long time that intelligent people have higher instances of insanity. Last night I decided to cruise around the internet and see if I could find anybody else talking about it. I found the sight below.


The Frontal Cortex: Intelligence and Insanity


I found the original article interesting, but when I read the comments I was anthralled, and even laughed out loud a few times. Particularly comments 4, 9-11 (by the same person, one Prophetess Theresa), and 16.


I like comment 4 because it is along the lines I was thinking in the first place. It was pointed out in a later comment that comment 4 came from a G K Chesterton quote. G K Chesterton also said:


"The poet only asks to get his head into the heavens. It is the logician who seeks to get the heavens into his head. And it is his head that splits."


and


"He may be mad, but there's method in his madness. There nearly always is method in madness. It's what drives men mad, being methodical."


They ring very true to me. The more intelligent you are, the more you want to understand everything around you. That is impossible, however, we cannot know everything. 


The smarter people know more about the world, our government, and human nature, and realize that things are messed up. The pain and ugliness in the world can be terrible for those who think about things like that. Even things they see or hear about in their neighborhoods. The horrible things that ignorance can inflict, they see it all, and they know that it doesn't have to be that way. 


This line of thinking carries over into what the "Prophetess" says in comments 9-11. I agree with the guy in comment 17 who suggested that Theresa was off her meds. What she says is interesting though, and made me laugh a few times. More at the paranoia than anything else. She is difficult to read though, because she doesn't like spaces around her periods. 


Comment 16 I identified with the most. I feel like that a lot. It's true I hardly ever finish projects. So, according to the commentor, I need some henchmen... anybody want to apply? :-)


I hope you enjoy it all as much as I do. It left me feeling a lot better about my mental health, and gave me more to ponder on the subject. 


~Foxy

No comments:

Post a Comment