Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Birth Control

Today I logged on to Facebook, hungover, and saw a post a friend of mine made. It was about a little girl who was killed in Florida and her mother was acquitted of the murder. Honestly, I have not looked at all the facts myself, but everybody seems to believe that she did do it. Here are the news links related to the case:

News links: Caylee Anthony

Like I said, I have no idea if Casey, the mother, actually killed her daughter or not. I guess that's up to the Universe to know, and to punish. One of my friends suggested a failure in the court system. That may well be true, I don't know enough about the courts to talk about it, or about the case, for that matter. What I came to understand is that even if she didn't kill her daughter, Casey wasn't a very good mom, wishing to party and have boyfriends. To me this means that she got pregnant too young. She obviously wasn't ready to be a mother.

I believe that this is a failure in our education system, or in our sex education laws. I firmly believe that sex education should be taught in schools (with parental permission of course), and part of that teaching should be the reality of having a child, as well as risks of STD's, and the different types of birth control, how they work and how to get them. Washington State will pay for birth control for those who cannot afford it themselves. It makes sense because they would rather pay to prevent a pregnancy than have to pay for the pregnancy, and for the child on welfare for the next however many years. More people should know about those programs in their state.

Of course the information wouldn't get through to everyone. Some people are opposed to birth control for religious reasons, though that doesn't seem to stop them from having pre-marital sex, and some will ignore the advice and end up in trouble. It would still get through to enough people to make it worthwhile, in my opinion. I think we would see a decrease in abortions, because the unwanted pregnancy's would have been AVOIDED instead of having to be terminated. Hopefully we could also see the incidences of child abuse and neglect drop.

Young people should spend their time being young and enjoying the power and beauty of their youth, not in being mothers, until they are truly ready and willing to accept the challenge and responsibility of parenthood.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree they do need to teach better sexual education, it would be so much better for everyone and parents actually paying attention to their kids and personally teaching them would help too, but no one really does. I know from experience, my parents never taught me anything and never even talked to me about sex at all, they are lucky I couldn't get pregnant or I might have been a young mother as well, I think they just expected me to learn everything from school which the sex ed I had was in elementary school and it didn't teach me anything.

    ReplyDelete